Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rousing from sleep, in a natural or a figurative sense; rousing into activity; exciting; as, the awakening city; an awakening discourse; the awakening dawn.
awakening (plural awakenings)
- The act of awaking, or ceasing to sleep.
- (religion) A revival of religion, or more general attention to religious matters than usual.
- (figuratively) Being roused into action or activity.
2007, Abigail Brenner, Women's Rites of Passage, page 25:
- When I invited women to decide for themselves which rite of passage to talk or write about, I found that only a few chose their sexual awakening.
the act of awaking
a revival of religion
being roused into action or activity
- Arabic: صحوَة (ʂáħwa) f