Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: back-hander
backhand + -er (patient suffix) or -er (agent noun suffix).
backhander (plural backhanders)
- A glass of wine given out of turn, the bottle having been handed backwards.
- A blow with the back of the hand.
- (informal) A bribe, a secret payment.
- (racquet sports) A shot played backhand, a backhand stroke.
- (racquet sports) A player who plays a backhand shot.
- She's a terrific backhander.
- (surfing) A surfer who approaches a swell with the wave behind them ("on their backhand") rather than facing the wave ("on their forehand").
- 1990, Surfer - Volume 31, Issues 7-12:
- The morning brought an increased swell; long, perfect, down-the-line, 6-8' freight trains — a forehander's dream and a backhander's nightmare
blow with the back of the hand
bribe, secret payment
shot played backhand, a backhand stroke