Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Bärbel
barbel (plural barbels)
- A freshwater fish of the genus Barbus.
- The Barble fishes, if one of them chance to be engaged, will set the line against their backes, and with a fin they have, toothed like a sharp saw, presently saw and fret the same asunder.
- (biology) Whisker-like sensory organs, located around the mouth of certain fish, including catfish, carp, goatfish, sturgeon, and some types of shark.
- A barb or pap under the tongues of horses and cattle.
- barb (something which stands out with a sharp point)
- French: barbelé
- barbel (fish)