Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- any fish of the order Siluriformes, mainly found in fresh water, lacking scales, and having barbels like whiskers around the mouth
- The meat of such a fish, popular in the Southern U.S. and Central Europe
type of fish — See also translations at sheatfish
catfish (plural catfishes)
- (Internet) Someone who creates a fake profile on a social media platform in order to deceive people.
- (Internet) Such a fake profile.
person operating fake profile
- (Internet, slang, transitive) To create and operate a fake online profile to deceive (someone).
- 2013 January 17, Mary Pilon, “In Te’o Story, Deception Ripped From the Screen”, in The New York Times, ISSN 0362-4331:
- Getting catfished is when someone falls for a person online who is not necessarily real. It can involve pictures, phone calls, social media profiles, text messages, e-mails and even phony friends or family members.
- For more quotations using this term, see Citations:catfish.
operate fake profile