Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Any fish of the order Siluriformes, mainly found in fresh water, lacking scales, and having barbels like whiskers around the mouth.
type of fish
From the 2010 documentary Catfish.
catfish (plural catfishes)
- (Internet) Someone who creates a fake profile on a social media platform in order to deceive people.
- (Internet) Such a fake profile.
- (Internet, slang, transitive) To create a fake online profile to deceive (someone).
- 2013 January 17, Mary Pilon, “In Te’o Story, Deception Ripped From the Screen”, in The New York Times, ISSN 0362-4331:
- Getting catfished is when someone falls for a person online who is not necessarily real. It can involve pictures, phone calls, social media profiles, text messages, e-mails and even phony friends or family members.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:catfish.