Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: profilé
From French profil (“a profile”), from Italian profilo (“a border”), later also proffilo (“a side-face, profile”), from pro-, from Latin pro (“before”) + filo (“a line, stroke, thread”), from Latin filum (“a thread”); see file.
- (countable) The outermost shape, view, or edge of an object.
- His fingers traced the profile of the handle.
- (countable) The shape, view, or shadow of a person's head from the side; a side view.
- The brooch showed the profile of a Victorian woman.
- (countable) A summary or collection of information, especially about a person
- Law enforcement assembled a profile of the suspect.
- (countable) A specific space or field in which users can provide various types of personal information in software or Internet systems.
- I just updated my Facebook profile to show I got engaged.
- (uncountable) Reputation.
- (uncountable) The amount by which something protrudes.
- Choose a handle with a low profile so it does not catch on things.
- (uncountable) Prominence; noticeability.
- Acting is, by nature, profession in which one must keep a high profile.
- (archaeology) A smoothed (e.g., troweled or brushed) vertical surface of an excavation showing evidence of at least one feature or diagnostic specimen; the graphic recording of such as by sketching, photographing, etc.
- Character; totality of related characteristics; signature; status (especially in scientific, technical, or military uses).
- What's the thermal profile on that thing?
- (architecture) A section of any member, made at right angles with its main lines, showing the exact shape of mouldings etc.
- (civil engineering) A drawing exhibiting a vertical section of the ground along a surveyed line, or graded work, as of a railway, showing elevations, depressions, grades, etc.
- (military slang) An exemption from certain types of duties due to injury or disability.
- (print mode or selection) portrait
the outermost shape, view, or edge of an object
the shape, view, or shadow of a person's head from the side
a summary or collection of information, especially about a person
the amount by which something protrudes
- to create a summary or collection of information, especially about a person
- to act based on such a summary; especially, to act on a stereotype. See profiling.
to act based on such a summary; especially, to act on a stereotype
- profile in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- “profile”, in The Century Dictionary, New York: The Century Co., 1911