Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
elevation (plural elevations)
- The act of raising from a lower place, condition, or quality to a higher; said of material things, persons, the mind, the voice, etc.
- the elevation of grain; elevation to a throne; elevation to sainthood; elevation of mind, thoughts, or character
- The condition of being or feeling elevated; heightened; exaltation.
- That which is raised up or elevated; an elevated place or station.
- A hill is an elevation of the ground.
- The distance of a celestial object above the horizon, or the arc of a vertical circle intercepted between it and the horizon; altitude.
- the elevation of the pole, or of a star
- The angle which the style makes with the substylar line.
- The movement of the axis of a piece in a vertical plane; also, the angle of elevation, that is, the angle between the axis of the piece and the line of sight; distinguished from direction.
- (architecture) A geometrical projection of a building, or other object, on a plane perpendicular to the horizon; orthographic projection on a vertical plane; called by the ancients the orthography.
- (Christianity) The raising of the host—representing Christ’s body—in a mass or Holy Communion service.
act of raising
condition of being elevated
that which is raised
distance of a celestial object above the horizon
angle which the style makes with the substylar line
movement of the axis of a piece in a vertical plane
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked