Jump to navigation Jump to search
bottleneck (plural bottlenecks)
- The narrow portion that forms the pouring spout of a bottle; the neck of a bottle.
- In traffic, any narrowing of the road, especially resulting in a delay.
- Any delay; part of a process that is too slow or cumbersome.
- It is easy to create entries; processing the paperwork is the bottleneck.
- The bottleneck in this computer program is the inefficient sorting process; we should replace it with a faster one.
neck of a bottle
narrowing of the road, especially resulting in a delay
any delay; part of a process that is too slow or cumbersome
- (transitive) To slow by causing a bottleneck.
- The merge bottlenecked the traffic every morning.
- (intransitive) To form a bottleneck.
- The traffic bottlenecked at the merge every morning.
to form a bottleneck