Jump to navigation Jump to search
whisker (plural whiskers)
- That part of the beard which grows upon the sides of the face, usually of the male, or upon the chin, or upon both.
- A hair of the beard.
- One of the long, projecting hairs growing at the sides of the mouth of a cat, or other animal.
- (colloquial) The (very small) distance between two things.
- It missed falling on your foot by a whisker.
- 2011 May 14, Peter Scrivener, “Sunderland 1 - 3 Wolverhampton”, in BBC Sport:
- Boosted by their reward, Wolves continued to push forward and Jamie O'Hara came within a whisker of doubling the lead, smashing a 25-yard effort on to the bar.
- (nautical) Spreaders from the bows to spread the bowsprit shrouds.
- (statistics) A graphic element that shows the maxima and minima in a box plot.
- One who, or that which, whisks, or moves with a quick, sweeping motion.
- (metallurgy) A small tendril that forms on metal.
part of the beard
hair of the beard
long projecting hair at the sides of the mouth of a cat
(colloquial) very small distance between two things