Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: beauty-sleep
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic, uncountable) Sleep before midnight, on the belief that early sleep hours conduce to health and beauty.
- (idiomatic, countable, sometimes humorous) Extra sleep or a special nap.
- 1906, Annie Fellows Johnston, chapter 12, in The Little Colonel: Maid of Honor:
- "I know I ought to be taking a beauty sleep," she thought, "so I'll be all fresh and fine for the evening."
Extra sleep or a special nap
- ^ John Stephen Farmer and William Ernest Henley, Slang and Its Analogues Past and Present (1890), p. 159.