Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: bénédiction
benediction (plural benedictions)
- A short invocation for divine help, blessing and guidance, usually after a church worship service.
- So saying, he arose; whom Adam thus / Followed with benediction.
- Homeward serenely she walked with God's benediction upon her.
- The form of instituting an abbot, analogous to the consecration of a bishop.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Ayliffe to this entry?)
- A Roman Catholic rite by which bells, banners, candles, etc., are blessed with holy water and formally dedicated to God.
a short invocation for divine help, blessing and guidance, usually after a church worship service