Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Of unknown origin.
bezzeg (not comparable)
- oh but ...; Creates reproachful or angry sentences that express that something (i.e. an altered circumstance) creates (created or would create) a difference in the behavior or attitude of someone or the state of something. No English equivalent, see examples.
- Bezzeg én sose mehetek veletek a boltba! - But I can never go to the shop with you! / Why can't I ever go to the shop with you? (implying that someone else can, in fact, and this distinction is felt improper by the speaker)
- Bezzeg ha én törtem volna el, akkor nem úsztam volna meg ilyen könnyen! - Had I been broken it, I wouldn't have got away with it so easily! (implies that someone has broken something and got less punishment compared to what the speaker thinks (s)he himself/herself would get, and it is felt improper.)
- (irony) surely, really (also expressing a contrast as mentioned above)
- Ő bezzeg nagyon ért hozzá! - But he really is an expert in it, isn't he! (ironically)
- (regional) egad
- Bezzeg akkorát esett az utcán, hogy alig tudott fölkelni! - Egad, he fell so great on the street, he could barely get up on his feet!
- an often mentioned exemplar (i.e. of whom/which it is often said Ő/Az bezzeg... - But (s)he/it...; maybe not with the word bezzeg but in this sense); used chiefly in compounds