- (obsolete, mineralogy, Britain) Sphalerite; zincblende.
- (obsolete) Caramel or burnt sugar, used to colour wines, spirits, ground coffee, etc.
- (obsolete) A large leather vessel for beer, etc.
- (obsolete) The Quercus nigra, water oak or barren oak.
- (obsolete, circa 1700s) A native African longshoreman or sailor working on a boat.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for black-jack in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)