Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /bləʊt/
- (General American) IPA(key): /bloʊt/
Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊt
- to cause to become distended.
- (intransitive) (veterinary medicine) to get an overdistended rumen, talking of a ruminant.
- to fill soft substance with gas, water, etc.; to cause to swell.
- (intransitive) to become distended; to swell up.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Arbuthnot to this entry?)
- to fill with vanity or conceit.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Dryden to this entry?)
- to preserve by slightly salting and lightly smoking.
- bloated herring
to cause to become distended
to get an overdistended rumen
to fill soft substance with gas, water, etc
to preserve by slightly salting and lightly smoking
bloat (plural bloats)
- Distention of the abdomen from death.
- (veterinary medicine) Pathological overdistention of rumen with gas in a ruminant.
- (figurative) Wasteful use of space or other resources.
- Adding an e-mail feature to this simple text editor would be pointless bloat.
- (derogatory, slang, dated) A worthless, dissipated fellow.
overdistension of rumen
- (obsolete) bloated.
- 1602, William Shakespeare, “Act 3, Scene 4. The Queen's Closet.”, in The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of DenmarkTragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark/Act 3#Scene 4. The Queen's closet.:
- Let the bloat king tempt you again to bed