Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Bramble
bramble (plural brambles)
- Any of many closely related thorny plants in the genus Rubus including the blackberry and likely not including the raspberry proper.
- 2016, Ann Burnett, Take a Leaf Out of My Book (page 37)
- Jeanette is making bramble jelly. She is trying to listen to the Morning Story on Radio 4 while she goes about her task. Jeanette's brow is furrowed as she weighs the deep purple fruit and tips the berries into the heavy jelly pan […]
- 1975, Bertrand Russell, chapter 1, in Autobiography:
- A similar instinct for self-preservation was the cause of my first lie. My governess left me alone for half an hour with strict instructions to eat no blackberries during her absence. When she returned I was suspiciously near the brambles. ‘You have been eating blackberries’, she said. ‘I have not’, I replied. ‘Put out your tongue!’ she said. Shame overwhelmed me, and I felt utterly wicked.
- Any thorny shrub.
- A cocktail of gin, lemon juice, and blackberry liqueur.
diverse Rubus shrubs — see blackberry
any thorny shrub — see thornbush