Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Accidentally; unintentionally; without meaning to; as the result of an event not expected, aided, or designed by one's will.
- Sorry. I knocked over the vase by accident.
- As the result of some undesigned, unintended, unrelated, natural, or random occurrence; as the unexpected and unforeseen result of formerly unrelated factors.
- The car got totaled by accident; a giant snowdrift fell off the church roof.
- The only way that project still exists today is by accident; I thought we closed it years ago.
- The scholar thinks the quote and the parable were spoken on different occasions and only by accident were brought together here.
- By chance; unexpectedly; as the result of an unrelated series of events.
- I hadn't seen her for years, but I ran into her by accident at the store.
- She overheard the information by accident.
accidentally — see accidentally
- Accidental; as the result of some unforeseen happening or series of events; unexpected; resulting from an event without the foresight, expectation, aid, or design of the person by whose agency it was caused; unintentional.
- The victim's death was by accident.
- That the injury was by accident is not questioned.