Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Agent noun of call.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkɔːlə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈkɔlɚ/
- (cot–caught merger) IPA(key): /ˈkɑlɚ/
- Rhymes: -ɔːlə(r)
- Homophone: collar (some accents)
caller (plural callers)
- (telephony) The person who made a telephone call.
- - I've got someone on the line.
- - Who's the caller?
- A visitor.
- a gentleman caller
- (bingo) The person who stands at the front of the hall and announces the numbers.
- (computing, programming) The function that calls another (the callee).
- A whistle or similar item used to call foxes.
- (dance) The person who directs dancers in certain dances, such as American line dances and square dances.
the person who made a telephone call
Alteration of calver.
- Fresh (of food, especially fish).
- Wha'll buy my caller herrin’, / New drawn frae the Forth? (Caroline Oliphaunt, ‘Caller Herrin'’)