Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkɑː.tɪl.ɪd͡ʒ/, /ˈkɑːt.lɪd͡ʒ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈkɑɹ.təl.ɪd͡ʒ/, /ˈkɑɹt.lɪd͡ʒ/
Audio (GA) (file)
- (anatomy, uncountable) A usually translucent and somewhat elastic, dense, nonvascular connective tissue found in various forms in the larynx and respiratory tract, in structures such as the external ear, and in the articulating surfaces of joints. It composes most of the skeleton of vertebrate embryos, being replaced by bone during ossification in the higher vertebrates.
- Synonym: gristle
- (anatomy, countable) A particular structure made of cartilage.
- “cartilage”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–present.
- “cartilage”, in Merriam–Webster Online Dictionary.
cartilage m (uncountable)
- “cartilage”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.