Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /kɹəʊm/
- (General American) IPA(key): /kɹoʊm/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊm
- Chromium, when used to plate other metals.
- (graphical user interface) The basic structural elements used in a graphical user interface, such as window frames and scroll bars, as opposed to the content.
- 2009, Richard Wagner, Adobe AIR For Dummies, John Wiley & Sons, →ISBN:
- So, just as a car might have shiny chrome trimming, a bumper, and a grill that cover the vehicle, so the chrome of an OS window surrounds and complements the window itself. Examples of chrome include the title bar, the Minimize/Maximize/Restore buttons, menu bars, and toolbars.
- 2012 January 29, Nielsen, Jakob, “Browser and GUI Chrome”, in Nielsen Norman Group homepage, Nielsen Norman Group, archived from the original on 2013-03-07, retrieved 2019-09-24:
- Similarly [to the chrome exterior of an automobile], in most modern GUIs, the chrome lives around the edges of the screen, surrounding the middle area, which is dedicated to the user's data.
- 2020 January 4, Jimmy Grewal, quoting Maf Vosburgh, “Internet Explorer 5 for Mac: twentieth anniversary”, in Jimmy's Blog, archived from the original on 2020-01-09:
- I had the idea of making our browser chrome match the actual hardware you were on. If your Mac’s bezel was Bondi blue, we’d make our UI Bondi blue.
- (US, slang, collective) handguns
Terms derived from chrome (noun)
- bright chrome
- chrome alum
- chrome-ammonia alum
- chrome black
- chrome blue
- chrome brick
- chrome colour
- chrome diopside
- chrome dome
- chrome furnace
- chrome garnet
- chrome green
- chrome handler
- chrome ink
- chrome iron
- chrome iron ore
- chrome leather
- chrome maker
- chrome-nickel steel
- chrome ocher, chrome ochre
- chrome orange
- chrome red
- chrome spinel
- chrome solid
- (transitive) To plate with chrome.
- (transitive) To treat with a solution of potassium bichromate, as in dyeing.
to plate with chrome
- chrome at OneLook Dictionary Search.
chrome m (uncountable)
- Lingala: kolomo
- “chrome”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.