Jump to navigation Jump to search
claimant (plural claimants)
- One who claims; one who makes a claim.
- 1905, Baroness Emmuska Orczy, chapter 2, in The Tremarn Case:
- “Two or three months more went by ; the public were eagerly awaiting the arrival of this semi-exotic claimant to an English peerage, and sensations, surpassing those of the Tichbourne case, were looked forward to with palpitating interest. […]”
- (UK) A person receiving money from the government, in a form of unemployment benefits, disability benefits or similar.
- (law) The party who initiates a lawsuit before a court.
one who claims
person receiving money from the government
party who initiates a lawsuit — see plaintiff