See also: compréhensive
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌkɒm.prɪˈhen.sɪv/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌkɑːm.prəˈhen.sɪv/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: com‧pre‧hen‧sive
broadly or completely covering
comprehensive (plural comprehensives)
- (Britain) A comprehensive school.
2013 July 19, Peter Wilby, “Finland spreads word on schools”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 6, page 30:
- Imagine a country where children do nothing but play until they start compulsory schooling at age seven. Then, without exception, they attend comprehensives until the age of 16. Charging school fees is illegal, and so is sorting pupils into ability groups by streaming or setting.