Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- I lay hold of something on all sides; take or catch hold of, grasp, grip.
- I seize upon in a hostile manner, lay hold of; occupy, capture (of a place); arrest, detain, apprehend, catch.
- (to a crime or deed) I discover, detect, come upon, reveal.
- I intercept a letter.
- (of plants) I take root, take hold.
- (of a woman) I become pregnant, conceive.
- (of space) I contain, comprise, enclose, include, comprehend.
- (with ignem) I catch (fire).
- (Late Latin, of medicines) I combine, unite.
- (figuratively) I comprehend by sense of sight, perceive, observe, see.
- (figuratively) I comprehend something by the mind, understand, perceive, grasp, comprehend.
- (figuratively) I include or comprehend in words, comprise in discourse, express, describe, recount, narrate.
- (figuratively) I number, enumerate, reckon.
- (figuratively) I comprehend someone in affection, embrace with kindness, bind or put under obligation.
- (figuratively, Late Latin) I shut in, include.
- “comprehendo” in Charlton T. Lewis & Charles Short, A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1879.