Jump to navigation Jump to search
Semi-learned form taken from Latin comprehendo, comprehendere (“to grasp”). Cf. the older variant comprehender, as well as the inherited comprender. The latter was likely modified into its current form to more closely reflect the Latin etymology.
- (Portugal) IPA(key): /kõ.pɾjẽ.ˈdeɾ/
- (Brazil) IPA(key): /kõ.pɾe.ẽ.ˈde(ʁ)/, /kõ.pɾi.ẽ.ˈde(ʁ)/
- Hyphenation: com‧pre‧en‧der
- (transitive) to understand; to comprehend
- Eu compreendo seus motivos, mas eles não justificam seus atos.
- I understand your reasons, but they don't justify your acts.
- (transitive) to understand; to get (to know how a person feels)
- Meus pais nunca me compreenderam.
- My parents never understood me.
- (transitive) to include; to encompass; to comprise
- Esta lista compreende todos os ingredientes para o bolo de aniversário.
- This list includes all the ingredients for the birthday's cake.
- first-person singular (eu) personal infinitive of compreender
- third-person singular (ele and ela, also used with você and others) personal infinitive of compreender
- first-person singular (eu) future subjunctive of compreender
- third-person singular (ele and ela, also used with você and others) future subjunctive of compreender
Conjugation of the Portuguese -er verb compreender