Jump to navigation Jump to search
In English (recorded only since 1656, but until the 19th century stigmatized as 'Scottish') apparently from narration.
- (transitive) To relate (a story or series of events) in speech or writing.
- Synonym: tell
- To give an account. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- Synonym: report
to relate a story
to give an account
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- (Classical) IPA(key): /naːrˈraː.te/, [naːrˈraː.t̪ɛ]
- (Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /narˈra.te/, [narˈraː.t̪ɛ]