Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- inclose (was as common as or more common than enclose until the early 1800s, is now uncommon)
- (Canada) IPA(key): ənˈkloʊz
Audio (CA synth) (file)
- (UK) IPA(key): /ɪnˈkləʊz/
- (US) IPA(key): /ɪnˈkloʊz/
- Rhymes: -əʊz
- (transitive) To surround with a wall, fence, etc.
- (transitive) To insert into a container, usually an envelope or package.
- (intransitive) To hold or contain.
- Until about 1820, it was common to spell this word, and the derived terms encloser and enclosure, with in- (i.e. as inclose, incloser, inclosure). Since 1820, the forms with en- have predominated.
surround, fence in
insert into a container