Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (cooking, in the plural in US) Fat that, after roasting a joint, hardens and crispens.
- For the first time in his life he tasted crackling.
- (cooking, in the singular in Britain) The crispy rind of roast pork.
- The making of small, sharp cracks or reports, frequently repeated.
- the bangs and cracklings of fireworks
- (obsolete, chiefly in the plural) Food for dogs, made from the refuse of tallow melting.
fat that has hardened and is crisp after cooking