Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- plural of
- A place where one road crosses another; an intersection of two or more roads.
- (by extension) A centrally located position
- (by analogy) A decision point; a turning point or opportunity to change direction, course, or goal.
- (nonstandard) A fork in the road.
2005, Phil Nordyke, All American, all the way: the combat history of the 82nd Airborne, page 723:
- The Company A commander, Captain Helmer, was at the crossroads where the road split, with the left fork leading to Udenbreth, when he saw a group of men coming toward him.
2010, Raeanne Thayne, A Cold Creek Baby, page 199:
- When she reached the crossroads where the trail split, one part of her yearned to head toward the lake.
1955, Therese Pol, The judge and his hangman, translation of original by Friedrich Dürrenmatt, page 48:
- But first he stopped his car at the crossroads where the highway forked off to Gastmann's house.
- 2005, Jake Logan, Slocum and the Sierra Madras Gold:
- The shiny wet black triangle at the crossroads of where her legs split.
- 2010, M. K. Hobson, The Native Star:
- When they came to a crossroads where the road split off into four cardinal directions, Stanton stood squinting up at the signpost for a long time.
centrally located position
decisive turning point