Jump to navigation Jump to search
crybaby (plural crybabies)
- A baby who cries excessively.
- (slang) Someone whose feelings are very easily hurt, often by trivial matters.
- (slang) Someone who takes offense or excessively complains when things aren't going well.
- 1964, Harry S. Truman, MP2002-359 Former President Truman Discusses Using the Atomic Bomb to Stop the War, Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum, National Archives Identifier: 595162, 4:20 from the start:
- The fear is a thing which is extraordinarily vivid while we are in its grip, but once it's over, it leaves little trace of itself in our consciousness. It may have reason, like shame, for not wishing to remember.
Now there are a lot of crybabies around who are talking about what ought to have done and the bomb ought to have had a demonstration in Japan before you killed all those people. But I had the authority of the best man in the business, and that is Henry L. Stimson, that the only operation that the Japanese would understand would be one that would show them what it was, and that's what happened. And it stopped the war. I don't care what the crybabies say now because they didn't have to make the decision.
baby who cries excessively
person whose feelings are easily hurt
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.