- (intransitive) remember; consider, think (with ar)
Caithfimid cuimhneamh ar an gcostas.
- We must consider the cost.
- (transitive) commemorate, remember
Cuimhnímid na mairbh inniu.
- We remember the dead today.
- remind (with the thing being reminded of as the direct object and do plus the person being reminded)
Chuimhnigh an t-amhrán a hóige di.
- The song reminded her of her youth.
- remind (with the person being reminded as the subject, ar plus the person doing the reminding, and le plus the person being reminded of)
Cuimhním ar mo dheartháir le Séan.
- Seán reminds me of my brother. Literally, “I remember my brother with Seán.”
- conceive, form in mind
† Dialect form
- Alternative verbal noun: cuimhniú
See etymology on the main entry.
- inflection of :
|Note: Some of these forms may be hypothetical. Not every
possible mutated form of every word actually occurs.