Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: dénomination
- (uncountable) The act of naming or designating.
- (countable) That by which anything is denominated or styled; an epithet; a name, designation, or title; especially, a general name indicating a class of like individuals; a category
- (countable) A class, or society of individuals, called by the same name; a sect or religious subgroup
- She follows the Ahmadiyya denomination of Islam.
- (countable) A unit in a series of units of weight, money, etc
- What denomination is that money? They are all 50 euro notes.
1896, William Graham Sumner, chapter 11, in History of Banking in the United States:
- In 1823, a further issue of treasury notes was ordered to the amount of $100,000, in denominations of five to seventy-five cents, receivable for dues to the State.
act of naming, designation
name, designation, or title
class or society with the same name, a sect
unit in a series of units