Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation, US) IPA(key): /dɪˈtætʃ/
- (General Australian) IPA(key): /dəˈtætʃ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ætʃ
- (transitive) To take apart from; to take off.
- to detach the tag from a newly purchased garment
- (transitive, military) To separate for a special object or use.
- to detach a ship from a fleet, or a company from a regiment
- (intransitive) To come off something.
- Now that the zipper has detached, my winter coat won't keep me very warm.
- (take apart from): disengage, unfasten; see also Thesaurus:disconnect or Thesaurus:deadhere
- (separate for a special object or use): allocate, earmark; see also Thesaurus:set apart
- (come off something): fall off
to take apart or take off