Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (General American) IPA(key): /dɪˈsɝnɪbl̩/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /dɪˈsɜːnɪbl̩/
- Hyphenation: dis‧cern‧ible
- Possible to discern; detectable or derivable by use of the senses or the intellect.
There is a discernible performance difference between a Porsche and a Civic.
1821, John Duncan, Duncan's Travels:
- To have demolished and rebuilt the walls, would have been a very costly expedient, and as the least of two evils, the painter's brush was resorted to; here and there however, above some of the windows, the black wreathings of the smoke are still discernible through the white covering.
- 1908, W[illiam] B[lair] M[orton] Ferguson, Zollenstein, New York, N.Y.: D. Appleton & Company, OCLC 29686887 , chapter IV:
- So this was my future home, I thought! […] Backed by towering hills, the but faintly discernible purple line of the French boundary off to the southwest, a sky of palest Gobelin flecked with fat, fleecy little clouds, it in truth looked a dear little city; the city of one's dreams.
possible to discern
discernible (plural discernibles)