Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Middle High German vür, from Old High German furi, from Proto-West Germanic *furi, from Proto-Germanic *furi.
- IPA(key): /fyːɐ̯/, /fʏɐ̯/, /fyːr/ (standard)
audio (file) audio (file)
- IPA(key): /fə/ (reduced form in common speech)
- Homophone: führ
- Rhymes: -yːɐ̯
für (+ accusative)
- Das Geschenk ist für dich.
- The present is for you.
- in favor of, in support of
- Ich bin für die erste Option.
- I'm in favor of the first option.
- by the standards of
- Für einen Ausländer sprichst du sehr gut Deutsch.
- For a foreigner, you speak German very well.
- on behalf of
- Mein Anwalt wird das für mich beantworten.
- My lawyer will answer to that on my behalf.
- kind / type of
- Was für ein Kuchen ist das?
- What kind of cake is this?
- (informal) instead of
- Für die Hose hab ich jetzt den Rock genommen.
- Instead of the trousers [which I chose not to buy], I took the skirt.
- (colloquial, nonstandard) in order to (with zu and infinitive)
- Synonym: um
- Der Papa holt das Werkzeug, für die Waschmaschine zu reparieren.
- Daddy is getting his tools in order to repair the washing machine.
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text
- German terms inherited from Middle High German
- German terms derived from Middle High German
- German terms inherited from Old High German
- German terms derived from Old High German
- German terms inherited from Proto-West Germanic
- German terms derived from Proto-West Germanic
- German terms inherited from Proto-Germanic
- German terms derived from Proto-Germanic
- German 1-syllable words
- German terms with IPA pronunciation
- German terms with audio links
- German terms with homophones
- Rhymes:German/yːɐ̯/1 syllable
- German lemmas
- German prepositions
- German terms with usage examples
- German informal terms
- German colloquialisms
- German nonstandard terms
- Vilamovian terms with audio links
- Vilamovian lemmas
- Vilamovian nouns
- Vilamovian feminine nouns