Jump to navigation Jump to search
- To sputter or hiss.
- The soda fizzled for several minutes after it was poured.
- (figuratively) To decay or die off to nothing; to burn out; to end less successfully than previously hoped.
- The entire project fizzled after the founder quit.
- 2016 June 27, Daniel Taylor, “England humiliated as Iceland knock them out of Euro 2016”, in The Guardian, London:
- And so it fizzled to its close with Gary Cahill galloping around as an extra centre-forward, mutinous chants of “you’re not fit to wear the shirt,” from the England followers and Hodgson’s media staff announcing he would not take any questions.
to splutter or hiss
to decay or die off to nothing
fizzle (plural fizzles)
- A spluttering or hissing sound.
- Failure of a nuclear bomb to meet its expected yield during testing.
- An abortive effort; a flop or dud.
- A state of agitation or worry.
spluttering or hissing sound