Jump to navigation Jump to search
flare-up (plural flare-ups)
- A sudden outbreak, outburst or eruption (originally of flame, but now used more generally of any violent activity or emotion).
- 2000, Jon Zonderman, Ronald Vender, Understanding Crohn Disease and Ulcerative Colitis:
- Although Crohn disease and ulcerative colitis are chronic, they are characterized by periods of remission that last for varying amounts of time, interrupted by flare-ups, when symptoms of the disease become more evident.
- 2009, Peter Osbaldeston, The Palm Springs Diner's Bible: A Restaurant Guide for Palm Springs, Cathedral City, Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, Indian Wells, la Quinta, Bermuda Dunes, Indio, and Desert Hot Springs, Gretna, La.: Pelican Publishing Company, →ISBN, page 250:
- The disadvantage of the underfired grill is the potential for flareups, which can cause a burned spot or carbonization. Not only do these taste bad, but they are also carcinogenic.
- A sudden intensification in activity.
outbreak, outburst or eruption