Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A member of the crew (staff) of an airplane who is responsible for the comfort and safety of its passengers.
- The term flight attendant is somewhat less common than the older, gender-specific term stewardess, but is often preferred due to its gender-neutral nature. Another common approach is to treat steward (or, for clarity's sake, a construction such as air steward or flight steward) as a gender-neutral term.
- (female): air hostess, stewardess
- cart tart (pejorative, slang)
- coffee moffie (South African slang, pejorative, used of a gay or effeminate man)
- (female): hostie (Australian slang)
- (female): sky girl (slang)
- trolley dolly (pejorative, slang, used of a woman and also of a gay or effeminate man)
member of the crew of an airplane who is responsible for the comfort and safety of its passengers