flip the bird
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Used other than as an idiom: see flip, bird.
- (colloquial) To make a rude or obscene gesture (at somebody); particularly, to extend the middle finger.
- I accidentally bumped into him, and he flipped me the bird.
2005, Vince Flynn, Consent to Kill, page 135:
- He held his right hand up in front of his face and flipped the bird.
2007, R. D. Reynolds, The Wrestlecrap Book of Lists!, page 350:
- The vaunted Attitude era was built, in many ways, on a level of crudity never before seen in wrestling. You had guys flipping the bird, women nearly naked in the ring and guys telling each other to “suck it.”
- 2008, Vanessa Grigoriadis, Everybody Sucks, American Society of Magazine Editors (compilers), The Best American Magazine Writing 2008, page 9,
- This summer, she took some time off in Maine, and before she went posted a picture of herself on Gawker in a bathing suit flipping the bird — "At least I didn't put up the ones of myself in a silver-lame bikini. That would have been a little much," she said, laughing.
In the idiomatic sense, often used transitively in the form flip [someone] the bird.
to make a rude or obscene gesture, particularly with the middle finger