Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (journalism) A reporter or freelance journalist who is based in a foreign country, and who provides news reports and/or commentary from that place.
1874, Horatio Alger, chapter 36, in Risen from the Ranks:
- Oscar Vincent spent several years abroad, after graduation, acting as foreign correspondent of his father's paper.
1922, Gertrude Franklin Horn Atherton, chapter 35, in Black Oxen:
- "Couldn't you be foreign correspondent for your newspaper?"
- "We've good men in every European capital now. They've no use for more."
- 2013 Auugst 17, Sarah Lyall, "Dispatch: Ta-Ta, London. Hello, Awesome.," New York Times (18 June 2014):
- Now that my spell as a foreign correspondent for The New York Times has ended and I’ve come back home—if a place counts as home when you’ve been away for so long—I’ve had some time to think about how Britain and America have changed.
- (business, dated) A clerical employee responsible for communicating with an organization's stakeholders in other countries and for processing transactions involving them; a firm employed by an organization to assume such responsibilities.
1776, Adam Smith, chapter 1, in The Wealth of Nations:
- When the government, or those who acted under them, contracted with a merchant for a remittance to some foreign country, he would naturally endeavour to pay his foreign correspondent, upon whom he granted a bill, by sending abroad rather commodities than gold and silver.
1849, Charlotte Brontë, chapter 8, in Shirley:
- The secrets of business—complicated and often dismal mysteries—were buried in his breast and never came out of their sepulchre save now and then to scare Joe Scott, or give a start to some foreign correspondent.
1885, Charlotte M. Yonge, chapter 17, in Nuttie's Father:
- [F]alling in with one of the partners of the umbrella firm in quest of French silk, he was engaged as foreign correspondent.
1890, Arthur Conan Doyle, chapter 28, in The Firm of Girdlestone:
- The German had resumed his situation as commercial clerk and foreign correspondent to Eckermann & Co.
reporter based in a foreign country
- foreign correspondent at OneLook Dictionary Search