Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (slang) The situation in which one is viewed by a potential partner as a platonic friend, which complicates the initiation of a romantic relationship.
1996, Chris Rock, Chris Rock: Bring the Pain:
- Every platonic friend I got is some woman I was tryin' to fuck, I made a wrong turn somewhere, and ended up in the friend zone.
2003, Dan Indante; Karl Marks, The Complete A**hole's Guide to Handling Chicks:
- Clearly, it is critical that you stay out of the friend zone.
2004, Tony Clink; Bret Witter, The layguide:
- But, even after such a promising start, a lot of guys let their encounters degenerate into . . . the dreaded Friend Zone.
2005, Terry Dennis, The Manual:
- Once in a while, you will find yourself stuck in the friend zone. Don't panic, you are not alone.
2007, Helen Salter, Does Snogging Count as Exercise?:
- “Stuck in the Friend Zone,” said Sasha wisely, although I don't think she's dipped a toe in the Friend Zone in her life.
situation in which one is viewed by a potential partner as a platonic friend
- (slang, transitive) To classify as a friend, but without any possibility of a romantic relationship.