Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
gerbe (plural gerbes)
- (now obsolete) A (wheat) sheaf
- Something resembling a (wheat) sheaf in appearance
- (mathematics) an abstract construction in homological algebra and geometry providing a certain type of generalisation for a sheaf
- (pyrotechnics) A kind of ornamental firework.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Farrow to this entry?)
- James A. H. Murray [et al.], editor (1884–1928) A New English Dictionary on Historical Principles (Oxford English Dictionary), London: Clarendon Press, OCLC 15566697; and The Oxford English Dictionary; being a Corrected Re-issue with an Introduction, Supplement, and Bibliography of A New English Dictionary on Historical Principles (the First Supplement), Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1933, OCLC 2748467.
gerbe f (plural gerbes)
- (agriculture) sheaf (of wheat)
- spray, bouquet (of flowers)
- collection, anthology (of pieces of literature)
- (heraldry) garb
- (historical) tithe on crops under the Ancien Régime
- (slang) puke, throw up (vomit)
- first-person singular present indicative of
- third-person singular present indicative of
- first-person singular present subjunctive of
- third-person singular present subjunctive of
- second-person singular imperative of
- “gerbe” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).