- (mining) A hole in a mineshaft where an orebody is mined upwards until it breaks through the surface into the open air.
- (slang, sexual) A hole in a screen or wall big enough to allow an erect penis to be stuck through, made to facilitate anonymous sex with another person.
- Glory holes are often found in public toilets and are likely to be used for gay male activities.
- (slang) A military trench.
- An excavation into the sea floor designed to protect the wellhead equipment installed at the surface of a petroleum well from icebergs or pack ice.
- (glassblowing) A hole in the side of a furnace used to heat glass held on a metal rod.
- (slang, Scotland, and northern England) A deep built-in cupboard under the eaves or stairs of a house used for general storage, particularly of unrelated or unwanted items stored in some disorder.
- (slang, naval) In the merchant and Royal Navy:
- A generally untidy place.
- The stewards' mess on a passenger liner.
- The stokehold on a coal-burning tramp steamer.
- A bell-mouth spillway: a spillway (a structure in the reservoir above a dam that allows overflowing water to be released in a controlled fashion) that is shaped like an upside-down bell, thereby giving the appearance of a hole in the surface of the water.
- (slang, fishing, Canada) An especially good place to fish, a particularly rich fishing spot.
an especially good place to fish