Jump to navigation Jump to search
gratuity (plural gratuities)
- An additional payment given freely as thanks for service.
- Euphemistic form of , in contexts where such additional payments have been made obligatory.
- Euphemistic form of .
- (additional payment offered in thanks): douceur, grace, pourboire, tip; baksheesh (Turkish and Middle Eastern contexts); cumshaw (SE Chinese contexts; archaic); see also gift
- (obligatory fee): service charge; douceur, tip (euphemistic)
- (bribe): Thesaurus:bribe
- (additional gift from a vendor): lagniappe
reward provided freely, without obligation