Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
greige (not comparable)
- (of textiles) Unfinished; not fully processed; neither bleached nor dyed.
- The rolls of greige cloth sat on the factory floor waiting to be printed.
greige (plural greiges)
- A colour between grey and beige, closely akin to taupe.
1943, S.J. Perelman, The Dream Department,], page 74:
- Brilliant, sparkling reds will complement the bright, new beauty of Fall fashions and accent the subtle reserve of pale Priority beiges and greiges.
- 1959, Paint, Oil and Chemical Review vol. 122 , page 12:
- The August issue of Better Homes & Gardens, for example, features an article showing which accents look best with greiges and other popular colors.
- 2006, Lauri Ward, Home Therapy , ISBN 039953279X, page 256:
- To accessorize the server, we arranged a grouping of mahogany candlesticks in a variety of interesting shapes, a small greige-colored vase, and a platter that incorporates the colors of the candlesticks as well as the greige of the vase.
- 2009, Caitlin Moran, The Times, 29 Jun 2009:
- To those who still deludedly think they prefer Star Wars over Ghostbusters, all I need to ask you is this: you don't really want to be a Jedi, do you? In a greige cowl, getting off with your sister, without a single gag across three films?