Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
hanging (not comparable)
- The hanging vines made the house look older than it was.
- (chess, of a piece) Unprotected and exposed to capture.
- (baseball, slang, of an off-speed pitch) Hittable; poorly executed by the pitcher hence relatively easy to hit.
- hanging breaking ball
- hanging slider
- (uncountable) The act of hanging a person (or oneself) by the neck in order to execute that person (or to commit suicide).
- Hanging is the punishment for one convicted of war crimes, there.
- (countable) A public event at which a person is hanged.
- The hanging of the bandits was attended by the whole village.
- (countable) Anything that is hung as a decorative element (such as curtains, gobelins or posters).
- The various hangings on that Christmas tree look nice.
- (uncountable) The way in which hangings (decorations) are arranged.
- I dislike the cramped hanging in the gallery of 18th century painters.
means of execution
public event at which a person is hanged
anything wide, high and thin that is hung
way in which hangings (decorations) are arranged