have a nice day
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Used other than figuratively or idiomatically: see have, a, nice, day.
- 2011, Josh Linkner, Disciplined Dreaming, page 99:
- "Oh great, dear; have a nice day at the playground."
- (US, Canada, rather formal). A polite parting during daytime.
- Thank you. Have a nice day.
- Rarely used as a parting with friends or family.
- Have a nice day is a commonly spoken valediction, typically spoken by service employees or clerks to customers at the end of a transaction, particularly in North America. This repetitious and dutifully polite usage has resulted in the phrase developing a cultural connotation as a stereotypical display of impersonality, disinterest, or even passive-aggressive behavior.
- (informal, familiar) bye, see you later, see ya, have a good one
- (formal) good morning, good afternoon
- (short text, informal) HAND