have a nice day
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Used other than as an idiom: see have, a, nice, day.
2011, Josh Linkner, Disciplined Dreaming, page 99:
- "Oh great, dear; have a nice day at the playground."
- (US) Goodbye.
- Have a nice day is used as a salutation similar in meaning to goodbye.
- Have a nice day is a commonly spoken valediction, typically spoken by service employees or clerks to customers at the end of a transaction, particularly in North America. This repetitious and dutifully polite usage has resulted in the phrase developing a cultural connotation as a stereotypical display of impersonality, disinterest, or passive-aggressive behavior.
- The related form have a good evening is more common at night.