Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- hypercorrection, hyper-correction
- hypercorrective, hyper-corrective
- hypercorrectness, hyper-correctness
incorrect because of mistaken idea of correctness
- (transitive) To change (a word or phrase) to an incorrect form in the mistaken belief that it is standard usage.
2007 October 28, William Safire, “And Now This”, in New York Times:
- I use reduplicate to mean redouble, though both words should mean quadruple, but English is funny that way, so hold off on the hypercorrecting gotcha!