Jump to navigation Jump to search
- hypercorrective, hyper-corrective
- hypercorrectness, hyper-correctness
- hypercorrectism, hyper-correctism
nonstandard because of a mistaken idea of standard usage
- (transitive) To change (a word or phrase) to an nonstandard form in the mistaken belief that it is standard usage.
- 2007 October 28, William Safire, “And Now This”, in New York Times:
- I use reduplicate to mean redouble, though both words should mean quadruple, but English is funny that way, so hold off on the hypercorrecting gotcha!