Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: louis-d'or
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌluːi ˈdɔː/, (plural) /ˌluːiz ˈdɔː/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌlui ˈdɔɹ/, (plural) /ˌluiz ˈdɔɹ/
- (historical numismatics) Any of the gold coins first introduced in France under Louis XIII in 1640, based upon the Spanish doubloon.
any gold coin introduced in France by Louis XIII
Literally “golden louis”.
- (historical numismatics) louis d'or (any gold coin introduced by Louis XIII)
- A cheese produced in Quebec.
- (French coin): louis