Jump to navigation Jump to search
- In the capacity of a matron; serving as a housekeeper or head nurse.
- The matronly woman cared for the sick orphan.
- Exuding the authority, wisdom, power, and intelligence of an experienced woman.
- ...the matronly upper arms girls know about life and love and losing... Janeane Garofalo
- Having the appearance of a mature woman, often of larger physical stature and somewhat unkempt or dowdy.
- Gone is her matronly gray frizzy hair and those bushy brows, frumpy frock and old lady pearls. 
having the appearance of a mature woman
- In the manner of a matron.
- 1906, Gertrude Stein, Three Lives, page 166:
- The mother dressed matronly, in a bonnet and in black, always sat between her two big daughters, firm, directing, and repressed.