Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (music, uncountable) A type of music common in the Caribbean.
2007 January 7, Alex Mindlin, “For a Shuttered Marina, Some Regret, Some Relief”:
- The marina was a mainstay of the neighborhood, and Mr. O’Rourke was known for staging salsa and merengue concerts.
- A song performed in this style.
- A dance to this style of music.
2011, Elizabeth Drake-Boyt, Latin Dance, ISBN 0313376093, page 86:
- If Trujillo said everybody had to dance the merengue, then everybody danced the merengue, for so feared was he by Dominicans that it was said that even a glance from him had the power to kill someone from across the street.
merengue m (uncountable)