Jump to navigation Jump to search
neigh (plural neighs)
the cry of a horse
- (of a horse) To make its cry.
- To make a sound similar to a horse's cry.
- (obsolete) To scoff or sneer.
- c. 1614, John Fletcher, “Wit Without Money, a Comedy”, in Comedies and Tragedies […], London: […] Humphrey Robinson, […], and for Humphrey Moseley […], published 1679, OCLC 3083972, Act 4, scene 1:
- Yes, yes, 'tis he. I will assure you Uncle, the very he, the he your Wisdom plaid withal, I thank you for't, neighed at his Nakedness, and made his Cold and Poverty your Pastime; […]
(of a horse) to make its cry
to make a sound similar to a horses' cry
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.