Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Of, containing, or being a notion; mental or imaginary.
- Speculative, theoretical, not the result of research.
- This paper proposes a notional Federated Identity Management (FIM) architecture.
- (linguistics) Having descriptive value as opposed to a syntactic category.
- (finance) Used to indicate an estimate or a reference amount
2009 March 11, “Gold inches up on bargain hunt, ETF hits record”, Ninemsn:
- Gold traded at $909.00 an ounce, up 0.2 percent from New York's notional close of $906.65 on Wednesday.
2009, “Harvard Accepts Higher Debt Costs as Bankers Profit”, Bloomberg:
- Under the agreements, Harvard paid the banks fixed interest rates on a total notional amount of $3.52 billion in exchange for floating-rate payments from them.